The CHP wants you to report on your neighbors

11:41:00 AM

by Michael Satterfield

The California Highway Patrol (CHP) has set up a new website with the aim of catching vehicles that are registered out of state. The kicker is that is the site is nothing more than a form where Californians can report people the suspect of driving cars in California without registering them in California. According to the CHP, vehicle registration fees are due immediately upon accepting employment or establishing residency.

In one report we learn the real motivation CHP Officer Ross Lee said "They (drivers) can receive multiple citations, including no current registration, failure to properly register the vehicle.”  Multiple citations means lots of revenue on top of the eventual California registration that drivers would pay, so be sure to start reporting your neighbor. Once a report is anonymously filed, officers will investigate. Some out-of-state students and military are exempt from having to switch license plates. However, if a person is ever employed in California they’ll need to get a license plate, even if the job is temporary.

If you want to check out the website or report one of those dangerous out of staters click HERE

You can watch a report by NBC news HERE

You Might Also Like