Edmonton International Speedway

 by Michael Satterfield

Edmonton International Speedway started life in 1940 as a dirt track called Breckenridge Oval, just over a decade later the track would be paved and the 1/2 mile asphalt oval was renamed, Speedway Park. The facility continued to expand, and in 1967 a 1/4 mile drag strip was added, followed a year later by the 2.53-mile road course with a capacity for over 30,000 fans.

The track hosted Can-Am, Formula Atlantic, Formula 1600, Formula 5000, Trans-Am, as well as NHRA-sanctioned drag racing. But like many racing facilities near major cities as urbanization crept and land developer, Qualico Developments purchased the property, the track closed shortly after the area was annexed by the City of Edmonton, and was converted into housing in 1982.

These photos are from a Formula A race at the track in the late 1960s.






Photos via the Provincial Archives of Alberta

0 Comments