The Torgoen T16

The Torgoen T16

by Michael Satterfield - 06/12/2020

Torgoen might not be a watch brand you are familiar with, but if you are in the market for a rugged, well built, watch that is perfect for every day but capable of taking on your next jungle adventure, the Torgoen T16 should be on your shortlist.

For the last few weeks I have been wearing the T16 as my daily watch, not only does its classic vintage pilot styling work well dressed up or down, but it is more than just good looking. The T16 punches well above its weight class and has attracted fans ranging from commercial pilots and serious horologists all the way to billionaire Richard Branson who told the Wall Street Journal that he wears the T16 because he likes how it looks.

The T16 was designed in memory of R.J. Mitchell, the man behind legendary Supermarine Spitfire Fighter aircraft. Summed up in a word, Mitchell’s legacy is ‘simplicity’ and quality. In his spirit, this watch is as functional as the altimeters gauge it was inspired by.

My first impression of the Torgoen was that it is as well made as the TAG Heuer Formula 1 Quartz Chronograph which starts at around $1,000 more than the T16. Both watches feature Swiss-made quartz chronograph movements, with a date complication, both are roughly the same size and the T16 actually bests the water-resistance of the TAG by over 100 feet.

Torgoen may be less money than more established brands, but they don't skimp on quality of attention to detail. The T16 I received was finished to a high standard, the lum on the dial is excellent, and the leather strap is high quality and features quick releases, making throwing on a NATO strap or swapping straps easy and tool-free.

Torgoen also offers a range of automatic watches in addition to their quarts movements. Their automatic watches like the T42 and T38 still sell for less than most mainstream luxury brands quartz watches. While I hate the term "affordable luxury" I have to say that Torgoen is certainly providing a very nice quality watch for far less than traditional brands. I am just as comfortable wearing the T16 out to dinner as I would be wearing it on one of my motorcycle or off-road adventures.

With an MSRP of $450, the Torgoen T16 is a great value, and since the company sells direct be sure to check for sales around major holidays. Learn more or shop their current offers at Torgoen.com.

Specs:
Lug Width: 24mm
Case Diameter: 44mm
Case Thickness: 14.1mm
Weight 3.5 oz
Case: 316L Stainless Steel
Movement: Swiss Ronda 5030.D Quartz Chronograph
Strap: Leather